Saturday, June 4, 2005

SP5: Some more questions

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I live with a roommate (who rocks! and knits!). My parents live in Minnesota (Deephaven, for those who care), my sister is 19 and goes to the University of Denver. No boyfriend. no girlfriend. no small children. No pets (mom and dad have a golden retriever, named Baxter, and a black cat named Magic).
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
Life dreams? Are you kidding me? =)
I'd someday like to live near all my friends instead of being all spread across the country.
I want to own my home. Be a good aunt. Fall in love. Excel at my profession. What more can anyone ask for, really?
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
Soft! Not too much splitting. Things that make observers say, "hey, what're you making?" slash "what are you knitting with?"
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Ribbon yarn. I know that isn't a *fiber* technically, but I still find it irritating to knit with.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Hmm... I am in the process of swatching for felted projects. And I recently tried socks. Which I look forward to making again. And the mother bear project bears are fun. Using up my stash is really my current knitting obsession. Unfortunately, I have a lot of Lion Brand Homespun, which is awful stuff. I keep putting that off to the side though.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I like making gifts. And small, instant gratification things. I have yet to make a real garment, though it is on my list.
17. What are you knitting right now?
Hmmm... the WIPs...
  • I have a short-rowed purse/bag for my 6yo cousin in pink and green that looks like a starburst mint that still needs some finishing work done on it.
  • A cat blanket (nee baby blanket) made of the wretched Homespun in darker colors (which apparently aren't good baby blanket colors)
  • recycling some sweaters from the thrift stores
  • swatching for felting projects
Coming soon:
  • lunch bag from Knit One, Felt Too using yarn recycled from thrift store sweaters
  • socks in a very bright, rainbow-y colorway on size 2 needles
  • felted slippers
  • Baby Tart from knitty (still need to get a "crust" colored yarn)

18. What do you think about ponchos?
YUCK! I think that they look ugly and are terribly impractical. Don't blame me for voicing that opinion, you asked. =)
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
I prefer needles that are the right length. I have a Denise set (grandma's case, tips and buttons, new cords) that I've been trying out and i really like them, but I'm not totally sold on circular needles yet.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Plastic or wood, whatever is available and less expensive. not aluminum. They are way too slippery. So I suspect that I wouldn't like Addi Turbos either. My grandma's needles (the other grandma) are almost all aluminums, except for the ones that are plastic. I love the plastic ones, but have been slowly replacing the metal ones with bamboo and when I can, I use the Denise ones. The Denise tips are so pointy, its great!
21. Are you a sock knitter?
Yes. But I am definitely a newbie. And I have no interest in knitting with yarn that needs to go smaller than a size 2 needle. While I'd love to try the Lorna's Laces yarn, I'd have to go with the sport or worsted weights, because fingering is just too tough to deal with.
22. How did you learn to knit?
a class at the lys near where my parents live. It was fun, and the Coldwater Collaborative is still my favorite yarn store by far. They are nice, helpful, well-stocked and supportive of charity knitting.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?
I tend to frog stuff if it isn't going well. The cat blanket has been on the needles since January though. no sign of it getting finished anytime soon.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
My favorite animal is a cat. Animated character: Bucky the cat from Get Fuzzy.
25. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas.
26. Is there anything that you collect?
Staplers.
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I just started an Interweave Knits subscription (haven't gotten one yet) and the Elann.com knittable samples subscription (just got my first one, so fun!)
28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?

Last Minute Knitted Gifts is full of fun things. There are sock books out there that I have various levels of interest in. I'd like to have a stich dictionary for things to practice on the Mother Bears' sweaters.
That's the end of the questionaire. Knowing that my secret pal is reading makes me at least inspired to keep updating. Soon, a froogle wishlist will be added. And eventually, pictures!

In the spirit of the old diaryland diary,

Keep Smiling! =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe I should have re-read your post. Geesh, I am not starting out very good. Sorry! Still need to know about verigated vs. solid! Thanks!
Your Silly SP