Sunday, October 29, 2006

This is about church

I'm not going to write about my whole history with The Church and church-going and stuff. That could be a book. A book at the bottom of the amazon.com sales list, a book that no one but my mother would read, but a book-length thing anyway. Maybe if I ever decide to do NaNoWriMo I could base it on that. But it would be boring to make fictional... so moving on.

I attend All Saints Episcopal Church in Chicago's Ravenswood neighborhood. It is a lovely church, with a wonderful old building and some nice stained glass and a very open and welcoming spirit backed up be incredibly inclusive service language for the Eucharist. The rector, Rev. Bonnie Perry, and the curate, Rev. Kevin Goodman, are both great speakers and the sermons and even the announcements are a joy to hear.

"Two weeks from today, Sunday, November 12, 2006, the Rt. Rev., soon to be Most Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori, the Episcopal church's new Presiding Bishop (the most senior Episcopal bishop in the USA) will be preaching at All Saints at the 11:00am worship service. This will be her first parish visit after her elevation. Bishop Jefferts Schori is the first woman to head a province of the Anglican Communion. This is a historic event. Come early as we are likely to host an overflow crowd."

The previous paragraph is pretty much taken right out of the announcements of the service booklet from today's service. If anyone wishes to attend the service and needs more information or a ride or something, please let me know. I wouldn't want to tell you about it and then not be of help in getting you to see the newest Presiding Bishop. That would be mean.

P.S. My mom is jealous of this.

No comments: