Sunday, March 6, 2005

the cutest neighborhood ever

Today was beautiful, official high of 64 degrees, sunny, light breeze, just perfect really. I went for a long walk up Broadway, over to Sheridan, west on Montrose, with some meandering along Sunnyside, back to Montrose at Damen, south on Lincoln, east (headed home) on Grace, south on Southport, and the rest of the way home on Waveland. Lincoln Square and Ravenswood are super-cute. And affordable too. Phooey on Lakeview/Wrigleyville, these are really nice neighborhoods. I also found an art center called Lillstreet, I think that I might take a class.

Wow, I didn't think that I had anything to write about tonight, but now that I'm starting (and so sleepy too) I can think of lots of things to be excited/happy about and share with others. Really, the reason that I opened the window was to ask some questions of the more experienced folks out there. How do you know how much you can afford for rent? I'd rather that this not be a trial and error activity. Is there a chart somewhere? Does that level include utilities or just what you pay to the landlord?

A friend has just suggested this breakdown... and I'd like some input.
--1 week of raw (pre-tax) pay for rent
--1 week for taxes (assuming the 25% tax bracket, which is pretty much where I am)
--1 week for utilities (including food)
--1 week for me (this is where cable tv and the car go)

Anyone got any other ideas? Beuller? ... Beuller?

Keep Smiling! =)

No comments: